sunday post #25


The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Caffeinated Reviewer. It's a chance to recap posts from the past week and tease upcoming content, as well as share new books, reading challenge progress, and anything else you've come across in the last seven days.

The days continue to be long and hot, with very little to report. It's hard to get motivating into leaving the house and running around when the temperatures are sweltering. I did remember to pick up a couple of new citronella candles when I ran errands this week, though, which should make evening reading sessions in the backyard possible, nay—pleasant! In addition to my usual book review schedule I screened a couple of upcoming movies as well, including the excellent Leave No Trace. The Fourth of July holiday has me extra wary of movie theaters, but I also really want to see Incredibles 2 and Sicardio: Day of the Soldado, so it looks like I'll be leaving the cool, dark shelter of my room for the cool, dark shelter of a cinema soon!

BOOKS I READ


Closing out June with a strong finish! I was finally able to read Mirage by Somaiya Daud, which has one of the most beautiful covers I've seen all year. While I did enjoy it, this first book in a new series was much more character-driven than action-based. I think this is a book that I'll appreciate more once the series is finished—and I am very excited for the sequel—but in the moment I kind of wanted a little more zip.

Next was Rust & Stardust by T. Greenwood, a fictionalized look at the Sally Horner kidnapping. It's been suggested that Nabokov might have been partly inspired by this crime when writing Lolita, and he even directly references it in his novel, which should tell you a lot about the subject material. This will not be a book for every reader, but Greenwood developed each perspective well and handled a very sensitive topic gracefully. (Also, the meaning behind the cover is absolutely heartbreaking when you reach that point in the book.)

Last was Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage. The plot for this one unspooled in a reasonably predictable fashion, but I was really impressed with how Stage developed the two POVs of a mother and her daughter in tandem. The concept of an evil child won't sit well with all readers, but the approach in this debut novel was unique enough to keep me turning the pages.

LAST WEEK ON THE BLOG
COMING UP ON THE BLOG

Book Review: Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
Mid-Year Reading Stats Update
Book Review: The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry

BOOK HAULS


This week has a very special haul for me because, after months of looking, I finally got an ARC of Uprooted by Naomi Novik! With Spinning Silver releasing so soon it feels a little bit like a good omen...or at least excellent bookish timing. After my Goldsboro edition of Spinning Silver arrives the only edition missing from my collection will be a UK hardcover of Uprooted. Looking at my little series of Novik stand-alones makes me smile every time!

I added two more ARCs to my shelf as well: The Boneless Mercies by April Genevieve Tucholke (which I've been dying to read!) and Sadie by Courtney Summers (which has gotten a ton of good buzz after YALLWest). Then, because I can never resist a Barnes & Noble coupon, I finally bought a hardcover of Onyx & Ivory by Mindee Arnett! I was thrilled to be part of her street team for the release and it's great to have something more than an e-galley.

(Also, there were definitely two B&N coupons in my latest mailer but the second isn't valid until after the Fourth of July...y'all know I already have my next purchase staked out 😂)

AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE
Any exciting plans for the Fourth of July? Or, y'know, just for the next week for my non-American friends? Say hello in the comments and I hope y'all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP