down the tbr hole #21


As my Goodreads to-read shelf creeps closer to 500 books, I've been eyeing it with a growing feeling of apprehension. It would take forever to get through so many...and that's not counting all of the new books I hear about along the way. Thankfully I discovered Lost In A Story's series (by way of Boston Book Reader) at the beginning of the year and it sounds like a great way to trim down my TBR.

The guidelines, per Lost In A Story, are simple:
  • Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf
  • Order on ascending date added
  • Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books
  • Read the synopses of the books
  • Decide: keep it or should it go?
I'll be going through 10 books every week, meaning it should take me almost the whole year to reach the end! If you'd like to do this yourself, be sure to visit Lost In A Story's original post and let her (and me!) know you'll be joining in the fun.

THE BOOKS


The Beguiled by Thomas Cullinan

I feel pretty ambivalent towards both film adaptations, so I'm not inclined to ever pick up the book. PASS.



The True Flag: Theodore Roosevelt, Mark Twain, and the Birth of American Empire by Stephen Kinzer

I'm trying to read more non-fiction, particularly about American history, and I'm automatically interested in anything that includes Teddy Roosevelt. KEEP.


The Lightkeepers by Abby Geni

Because of my educational background and profession, I'm familiar with the Farallon Islands. Using them as the setting for a mystery/thriller novel is very unique, so I'm inclined to KEEP this one.


The Substitute by Nicole Lundrigan

Breaking my rule about 4 star minimums for thrillers because I love the blurb so much. KEEP.


The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street by Lindsay Currie 

I don't read much in the way of middle grade (although I'm planning to make an exception for Katherine Arden's Small Spaces this fall!) and it doesn't appear as if any of the reviewers I follow have given their opinion on this one. PASS.


Kolymsky Heights by Lionel Davidson

The synopsis doesn't grab me and it's lower than 4 stars. PASS.

The Shadow Land by Elizabeth Kostova

I know that there's a lot of love for The Historian, but it just drug and drug and drug for me. I don't think I want to give Kostova another chance just yet. PASS.


Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

I've said before that Gaiman is a hit-or-miss author for me. I've already got a couple of his books sitting unread on my shelves and TBR, so I'll get to those before considering any more. PASS.


Everything You Want Me to Be by Mindy Mejia

Same issue as many thrillers before it—I'm not super intrigued and it also has a fairly average rating. PASS.


Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine

The set-up is original and engaging, plus some of my favorite book bloggers have given this high marks on Goodreads. KEEP.







Another thin week for survivors, with only 4/10 making the cut. According to Goodreads I've finally reached the section of my TBR that's been added in the last year or so, which means I can probably expect to start cutting fewer books as I get deeper down the list. As I continue trimming things down I'm noticing that these cuts also reflect a change in reading tastes over the last year: thrillers and mysteries have to work harder to stay on, while my fantasy and science fiction streak continues. I'm a little curious to see if this changes as I continue the meme...


What did you think of my choices this week? Are you favoring a particular genre right now? Be sure to share your thoughts down below, and let me know if you're inspired to tackle your own TBR list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP