down the tbr hole #20


As my Goodreads to-read shelf creeps closer to 500 books, I've been eyeing it with a growing feeling of apprehension. It would take forever to get through so many...and that's not counting all of the new books I hear about along the way. Thankfully I discovered Lost In A Story's series (by way of Boston Book Reader) at the beginning of the year and it sounds like a great way to trim down my TBR.

The guidelines, per Lost In A Story, are simple:
  • Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf
  • Order on ascending date added
  • Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books
  • Read the synopses of the books
  • Decide: keep it or should it go?
I'll be going through 10 books every week, meaning it should take me almost the whole year to reach the end! If you'd like to do this yourself, be sure to visit Lost In A Story's original post and let her (and me!) know you'll be joining in the fun.

THE BOOKS


The Normal and the Pathological by Georges Canguilhem

I must have added this to keep track of it for a political science class in college. PASS.



The Devils of Loudun by Aldous Huxley

This was made into a highly controversial film called The Devils in the early 1970's. Some might consider it tame by modern standards but it certainly is...an experience. I like Huxley so I'll KEEP this for now.


The Vegetarian by Han Kang

I already have a copy sitting on my shelves to (hopefully) read this year! KEEP.


Human Acts by Han Kang

I absolutely love this cover but I want to read the Kang book I already own before deciding to read more of her work. PASS.


Into the Water by Paula Hawkins 

The Girl on the Train was thoroughly mediocre for me and this has a middling average rating on Goodreads. My high standards for thrillers continue, I suppose. PASS.


City on Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg

Another average-rating thriller. Meh. PASS.

Mr. Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt

On one hand, there's the gorgeous cover and intriguing synopsis. On the other are all the reviews that describe this book as a fever dream, trippy, or surreal. I tend not to like books that fit those descriptors (or do very rarely). PASS.


The Diver's Clothes Lay Empty by Vendela Vida

This one sounds a little odd and lots of reviews mention a disappointing ending. It has a lovely cover though! PASS.


American Heiress: The Wild Saga of the Kidnapping, Crimes and Trial of Patty Hearst by Jeffrey Toobin

I like true crime and don't often see many recommendations to grow my TBR in that direction, so I'll KEEP this one.


Hero of the Empire: The Boer War, a Daring Escape, and the Making of Winston Churchill by Candice Millard

Another book already on my shelves, just waiting to be read! KEEP.







Clearing out more random books this week, with only 4/10 surviving the cut. That number even feels a little artificially inflated considering I already own two of the four books I decided to keep! It's been a while since I've done one of these posts, having decided to cut back to every other week, so in the interim I've added a few books onto my TBR. It feels good to keep making progress towards a more manageable list!


What did you think of my choices this week? Do you read much true crime or other non-fiction? Be sure to share your thoughts down below, and let me know if you're inspired to tackle your own TBR list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP