sunday post #23


The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Caffeinated Reviewer. It's a chance to recap posts from the past week and tease upcoming content, as well as share new books, reading challenge progress, and anything else you've come across in the last seven days.

Happy Father's Day to those who are celebrating it—and a happy Sunday to everyone else! My family takes a relaxed approach to holidays, so most of our festivities today center around my cooking some of dad's favorite foods. It's a nice cap to a weekend highlighted by the film festival that I covered Friday and Saturday. Despite only going to a couple of movies, the commute to the theater and finding parking once you're there is a bit of a hassle; not having to deal with herds of inattentive drivers is nice!

I also went and saw Hereditary on my own this week. Have any of you seen it, or plan on seeing it? There were a couple on-the-nose moments but overall I think Ari Aster crafted a superb movie! He genuinely shocked me more than once—a hard task with this cynical horror fan—and Toni Collette deserves to be included in awards chatter at the end of the year. To top it all off I have a lovely little book haul down below, making up for the last few weeks of few to no new books coming in!

BOOKS I READ


I'm sad to say that after reading The Cruel Prince I struggle to see where the hype comes from. I'm curious enough about what happens next to read the sequel...eventually...but the magic that so many other readers found in it never materialized for me.

Grace and Fury wound up as another o-k read, too. For those who haven't read it and aren't aware: it's not a standalone! I didn't see anything on NetGalley or Goodreads indicating it was the start of a new series and the cliffhanger ending left me very disappointed.

Technically I'm not quite done with Sanctuary...but I'm very close! It's fun so far but I'll hold off on any concrete opinions until I'm all the way through.

LAST WEEK ON THE BLOG
COMING UP ON THE BLOG

Book Review: The Queen's Rising by Rebecca Ross
Discussion: My Favorite Bookish B*tches
Book Review: Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young

BOOK HAULS


It's impossible to stick to a wishlist in the used bookstore. I went in this week to find something for my brother's birthday; I wound up having to order it online, but didn't let that stop me from buying Six of Crows and The Language of Thorns for myself. I've been wary of reading more by Leigh Bardugo since the Grisha trilogy really let me down but I'm caving to popular opinion and giving these two titles a chance.

I also made my first Book Depository order! With the The Bear and the Nightingale UK paperback safely ensconced on my shelves I went ahead and ordered The Girl in the Tower too. Remember that terrible lack of self-restraint? It reared its head again and I added Vicious to my cart...I can't have one book cross the Atlantic Ocean alone, can I?!

Lastly I added Wildcard and Rule, two of my highly anticipated fall releases, to my ARC shelf. Wildcard has already momentarily derailed my reading schedule because there is no way I can let that sit around and wait its turn!

AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE
What's the last movie you saw in theaters? Are you already getting excited for fall book releases? Say hello in the comments and I hope y'all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP