down the tbr hole #2


As my Goodreads to-read shelf creeps closer to 500 books, I've been eyeing it with a growing feeling of apprehension. It would take forever to get through so many...and that's not counting all of the new books I hear about along the way. Thankfully I discovered Lost In A Story's series (by way of Boston Book Reader) at the end of last month and it sounds like a great way to trim down my TBR.

The guidelines, per Lost In A Story, are simple:
  • Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf
  • Order on ascending date added
  • Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books
  • Read the synopses of the books
  • Decide: keep it or should it go?
I'll be going through 10 books every week, meaning it should take me almost the whole year to reach the end! If you'd like to do this yourself, be sure to visit Lost In A Story's original post and let her (and me!) know you'll be joining in the fun.

THE BOOKS

Essays and Poems by Ralph Waldo Emerson

I periodically try to find poetry that I enjoy reading, to no avail. One day I need to try again, and while I'm sure that Emerson is an excellent place to start, it's just not a project I'm interested in taking on right now.

PASS 

The Seven-Percent Solution by Nicholas Meyer

I absolutely loved the film adaptation of this! (It was the first Holmes movie to ever acknowledge his cocaine habit, and it wasn't even from ACD's original stories.) I'm a huge fan of Holmes and have had some success with other authors continuing or expanding the canon, so I'm happy to keep it.

KEEP






Prometheus Bound by Aeschylus

Like last week, I'm fairly certain this is a hold-over from one of my college courses that I foolishly thought I'd get to in my spare time.

PASS







Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams

Williams is a genius playwright, but an awfully depressing on as well. Her stories are ones that I only need to experience once; anything more, and my appreciation settles into a vague and unshakable sadness.

PASS






Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

My dad recommended this to me after hearing how much I enjoyed Brave New World. He's never steered me wrong in the past and I always love a good dystopian novel, so there's no good reason to toss it.

KEEP







Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

Much as I enjoy Blade Runner, it seems like Ridley Scott could never settle on a version he was happy with. All that tinkering made it hard to truly love the movie in spite of all its promise. I have yet to read anything by Dick, but since I like the premise so much, this seems like a good place to start.

KEEP





The Sandman #1 by Neil Gaiman

I love Neil Gaiman. I love the synopsis. I'd like to read more graphic novels, especially ones so revered. Easy decision!

KEEP







Sin City by Frank Miller

During the time when all of Miller's comics were getting turned into movies I wanted to keep up with the source material. I'm over both the films and the graphic novels they were based on.

PASS








300 by Frank Miller

Same exact logic as above. It may have interested me 5+ years ago, but not now.

PASS






The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

I remember when everyone went absolutely bonkers over this book. Maybe it was even an Oprah Book Club selection? Honestly, I didn't even know what it was about until I read the synopsis for this post. It doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't grab me either.

PASS





Only 4/10 books survived this week's cut. There are still a lot of "expectation" books on my list: titles I added because I thought I needed to, rather than out of genuine interest. It may feel easy now, but I'm already dreading when I get to the part of my TBR that's been added to more recently!

What did you think of my choices this week? Be sure to share your thoughts down below, and let me know if you're inspired to tackle your own TBR list!

8 comments:

  1. This looks like a super interesting challenge. Have you started with the oldest books on your list (i.e. things that have been on there the longest)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that's exactly how it works! I think my first 4 or 5 posts will be a lot of random titles and auto-recommendations from when I started my Goodreads account. It's been eye-opening to go back 5+ years and see what's lurking there!

      Delete
  2. This is such a cool challenge, I'm going to give it a swing as well! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! Let me know when you start, I love peeking at other people's TBRs :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, you are keeping Stranger in a Strange Land and Philip K. Dick's book and The Sandman! I really enjoyed all three of them.

    Sin City is still on my list to read too...

    Your idea is really cool - I dusted off my TBR at the beginning of this January. I used to have 253 books, and now I am down to 41. I don't really know how that happened.

    - this might be a duplicate, when I try to comment with wordpress it takes me back to my wordpress blog :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read The Sandman sometime soon, it's just a LOT of individual books to buy. And it feels so good to clear out some of the clutter :) I even have to restrain myself from doing it all at once!

      (And no worries, even if a comment does show up twice ♥)

      Delete
  4. Oh good on you for getting rid of 4 though! I have The Kite Runner on my list but I think it's more from expectations to read it rather than being truly interested. But I still will probably try it haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever get to Kite Runner I'd love to hear your thoughts! Everyone I know that's read it remembers the reputation more than their own thoughts so I'm still ambivalent, but open to picking it up :)

      Delete

BACK TO TOP