tagged: book blogger confessions


I was tagged by the lovely Clo @ BookDragons247, and you can see her answers to all these questions right here. The rules are very simple, just answer each question honestly and tag five bloggers you'd like to answer them next!

Which book, most recently, did you not finish?

I just had to mark an ARC of Twice the Speed of Dark as DNF because it moved too slowly for me. However, I will say that the writing itself is absolutely beautiful, so if you're a linguistic nerd then I highly recommend checking it out!

Which book is your guilty pleasure?

I don't think anyone should feel guilty for enjoying the books/movies/anything that make them happy, but totally get how you can sometimes feel self-conscious. The Good Girl might fit the bill here because it deals with uncomfortable themes and features a relationship with deeply unbalanced power dynamics. I love stories with a dark edge, however since they don't have such a wide appeal I tend not to gush over them until I know the tastes of who I'm chatting with.

Which book do you love to hate?


The Nightingale, my god! It was so popular with my book clubs last year and I could. not. stand it. The first half was quite promising in how the author took such a blatantly villainous character—a Nazi soldier—and gradually introduced shades of grey, bringing out an individual behind the uniform. But then everything went to hell and she reverted to predictable stereotypes that robbed the ending of any sense of surprise. On top of that, the writing was only so-so. I just do not understand the effusive praise for The Nightingale and my contrary nature only stokes the dislike.

Which book would you throw into the sea?

Good as Gone. I've read a lot of poor Gone Girl imitators, but this one was the worst. The only reason I even finished it was because I spent full price on a hardcover copy when I ran out of reading material on a vacation.

Which book have you read the most?


The Harry Potter series, hands down. Out of the seven I've probably read PoA or OotP the most, although I haven't kept track. It's a story I can pick up no matter how much time I have or what my mood is. I'm always happy reading Harry Potter, so I reach for them often.

Which book would you hate to receive as a present?

Anything political or religious. Those are both such personal subjects for each individual that unless the gift came from a best friend or family member, the risk of annoying or offending the recipient is too high. I would include self-help books here too; unless specifically requested, they send the wrong message.

Which book could you not live without?

Three spring to mind: A Clockwork Orange, Blood Meridian, and Fahrenheit 451. I don't re-read them as often as other books, but each time I discover new layers of meaning, learn new words, and walk away with a deeper understanding of the novel than the last time. That's the kind of book I would want to be "stuck" with, rather than a title I can already recite passages from.

Which book made you angriest?


The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye. I actually didn't have many problems with the first Millennium book published after Stieg Larsson died. Lagercrantz stayed relatively faithful to the original characters, told an engrossing story, and toned down the preachiness that sometimes made the original trilogy drag. But this book. THIS BOOK. Destroyed all my goodwill. Unrecognizable characters, a plot worse than the most disastrous fan-fiction...it's a stain on the original trilogy, and more than enough to keep me from picking up any new additions in the future.

Which book make you cry the most?

The Amber Spyglass. That ending. The hope. The heartbreak. UGH.

Which book cover do you hate the most?


Hate is much too strong a word, but I'm not a fan of the paperback cover for Big Little Lies. All the neon candy colors make it look a little cheap; I would have picked a broodier palate and showcased the California Coast setting somehow.

I'm tagging Tiffany @ Read By Tiffany, Matilda @ Matilda's Library, Erica @ Erica Robyn Reads, Sheila @ She's Going Book Crazy, and Lucy @ That Book Gal. What did you think of my choices? If anyone else reading this wants to give it a go, please do! Tag me on Twitter (@darkmaterialss) so that I can see your answers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP