down the tbr hole #22


As my Goodreads to-read shelf creeps closer to 500 books, I've been eyeing it with a growing feeling of apprehension. It would take forever to get through so many...and that's not counting all of the new books I hear about along the way. Thankfully I discovered Lost In A Story's series (by way of Boston Book Reader) at the beginning of the year and it sounds like a great way to trim down my TBR.

The guidelines, per Lost In A Story, are simple:
  • Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf
  • Order on ascending date added
  • Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books
  • Read the synopses of the books
  • Decide: keep it or should it go?
I'll be going through 10 books every week, meaning it should take me almost the whole year to reach the end! If you'd like to do this yourself, be sure to visit Lost In A Story's original post and let her (and me!) know you'll be joining in the fun.

THE BOOKS


A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan

I actually remember adding this because I wanted to purchase it as a gift for a friend...more than a year ago. Easy PASS.



Microbe Hunters by Paul de Kruif

Microbiology has always fascinated me, so I'm happy to KEEP this as a future read once I finally work through the (minuscule) pile of non-fiction I'm already procrastinating on.


The Book of Esther by Emily Barton

The middling rating average has me a little worried, but I still love the sound of this one. KEEP.


Never Never by Brianna R. Shrum

I already have one Peter Pan/Captain Hook re-telling on my TBR and it sounds much more promising than this one. I'm not enough of a fan of the original story to keep a stack of them around, so I'll PASS.


The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid

I was all set to pass on this one, but a lot of bloggers I trust rated it highly. I'll tentatively KEEP it around for now.


A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab

I already have A Darker Shade of Magic and loved the first chapter I read. I'm fairly confident I'll continue the series. KEEP.

A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab

Same as above! KEEP.


Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

I'm such a sucker for historical fiction about Henry VIII's court (and I'm actually descended from the Boleyns on my mother's side!). A couple of prominent authors in this sub-genre have worn very thin, but I've heard a lot of positive things about Wolf Hall. KEEP.


Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I need to read more novels set outside of America and Europe. This sounds like a very promising book to help exercise that goal. KEEP.


Blaze by Richard Bachman

Bachman >>>> King, full stop. I've always admired how he'll go There when King wouldn't. (I can't speak for his current output though; I haven't read a recent Stephen King release in 15 years...) This is the only Bachman book I haven't read, so it's an easy KEEP.







It was an easy week to be a book on my TBR this go-around: a whopping 8/10 survived this time! I broke with my habits a little in keeping the latter two books in V.E. Schwab's ADSOM trilogy on my list, despite not having finished the first novel yet. I'm also getting into the section of my TBR that was created in the last year and a half, which leaves less time for my tastes to have changed, compared to adding things 6 years ago when I joined Goodreads! Hopefully next week I can be a little more ruthless...for my bookshelves' sake...


Is there a popular series you have yet to read? Do you enjoy historical fiction about any particular era? Be sure to share your thoughts down below, and let me know if you're inspired to tackle your own TBR list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP