2019 releases i can't wait to read!


Do I still have upcoming 2018 releases on my TBR? Yes. Do I still have a mound of backlist titles crying out to be read? Absolutely. Is any of that going to keep me from getting overly excited and pre-ordering a couple dozen new books coming out next year? Heck no! 2019 is already shaping up to have some stellar books by both familiar and debut authors. Some of the titles I'm most anticipating I learned about purely by accident: a liked tweet in my timeline or a friend adding it to their shelves on Goodreads. Rather than hoping y'all have a similar happy accident of fate, I'm going to proudly shout out some of the titles I can't wait to buy next year!

I've grouped my top picks into new stand-alones and series starters, or sequels to existing series. In the interest of fairness (and, let's be honest, because I would need blood pressure medication to deal with the stress of trying to rank them by level of anticipation) they're listed in simple alphabetic order. Every title links to Goodreads, to conveniently add each and every single one to your TBR. Let's get started, and get hype for 2019!

*Note that all release dates are approximate and came from Goodreads. They may have changed from the time I posted this list to when you're reading it!

NEW SERIES/STAND-ALONES


The Devouring Gray by Christine Lynn Herman (April 2019) This gives me all the Stranger Things vibes! Although this is billed as a fantasy, the contemporary setting, alternate dimensions, and promise of monsters all give it a different flavor from the more conventional, historical settings I usually read in the genre. It also sounds comparable to Sawkill Girls and The Wicked Deep, other contemporary fantasies with teens saving their town from some kind of supernatural terror. I can't wait to devour it's dark, neon goodness!

Enchantée by Gita Trelease (February 2019) I'm cheating here—it's my good luck to have already read this delightful debut! Set in the waning days of Marie Antoinette's reign, Enchantée follows Camille Durbonne and her use of la magie ordinaire—common magic—to secure enough money for she and her orphaned little sister to rise out of poverty. This historical fantasy is gentle and personal, which sets it apart in the best way. Rather than get tangled up in a complicated fictional realm or convoluted magic system, it focuses in on how magic, deception, and the quickly shifting landscape of France impact its vibrant, engaging characters. Plus hot air balloons! And slow-burn romance! Gita has already shared that a sequel is on the way...but be sure to savor the anticipation for Enchantée first!

Four Dead Queens by Astrid Scholte (February 2019) I had my eyes on this beauty before the fabled BEA stampede. The title alone practically begs for you to read this fantasy/mystery: who are these queens, and why are they all dead? I'm a sucker for worlds that get divided up by aptitude or profession, so I love how Quadara is broken into four sections with different characteristics and queens. The synopsis also hints at an enemies-to-friends/lovers subplot, which I love! There's a lot of hype surrounding this release thanks to Penguin's mystery ARC drop, but all the early reviews are glowing and only reinforce my need for this debut! (Also, what's your favorite crown? Mine's either the one flat on the ground or the one with the green jewel!)

The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi (January 2019) The cover alone demands a closer look—gorgeous! I haven't read any of Roshani's other books, although I'm hoping her newest YA novel will convince me to change that. Beyond the delightful cover art, main character Séverin caught my attention immediately. He sounds like a devious, scheming charmer and I want to read all the books with that sort of person as a protagonist. The plot sounds comparable to Six of Crows, another highly reviewed book right at the tippy-top of my TBR (really, I'm reading it in August!), and in our rush to name favorite characters I think we can sometimes underestimate favorite ensembles. It sounds like The Gilded Wolves has assembled a stellar one!


Gravemaidens by Kelly Coon (Fall 2019) This was a delightful Twitter discovery! Not much information exists for this late 2019 release yet, but it has all my Hades/Persephone senses tingling. Toss in the dynamic of devoted sisters trying to save one another and you have all the makings of a great book!

White Stag by Kara Barbieri (January 2019) I first saw this on NetGalley, but apparently the author originally published the story on Wattpad. I'm a sucker for any summary with the words "goblin king" in it (thank you Labyrinth and David Bowie) and I love that Kara describes his court as filled with "merciless monsters". Fantasy with a dark edge will always be my preference, especially when it involves creatures not usually that benign. I'm ready to see what her take on goblins, with or without the 80's fright wigs, will be!

Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan (Summer 2019) First uncovered when I entered (and did not win—BOO I'M STILL BITTER) a Goodreads giveaway, Wicked Saints quickly became everything I could possibly want in a novel. Blood magic, religious imagery, and Emily's repeated self-professed love of villains? SIGN ME UP. I just want more books where the characters are allowed to be bad. Or, if not bad, at least allowed to revel in bending the rules while endlessly snarking one another. Although I'm trying not to get too carried away, this is already contending for a favorite read next year.

NEW SEQUELS


Children of Vengeance and Virtue by Tomi Adeyemi (Legacy of Orïsha #2, March 2019) Earlier this year, Children of Blood and Bone really surprised me; books rarely live up to the level of hype that Blood and Bone generated for itself pre-release, and yet this one did. By the end of the first chapter I was positively in love with Orïsha, the maji, and all of Tomi's amazing characters. By the end of the last chapter, I was shrieking for answers to that shocking cliffhanger! I'm making up for my earlier caution by getting excited for the sequel a full 8 months ahead of time!

Finale by Stephanie Garber (Caraval #3, May 2019) I wouldn't have believed it was possible, but somehow Stephanie took the immersive, vibrant, fantastical world of Caraval and made it even bigger and more colorful in her second novel, Legendary. She also added much more danger in the form of Fates, who are shaping up to be the central threat in the conclusion to this trilogy. Even more than the expanding story, though, I'm excited to get both Scarlett and Tella's perspectives in the third book. Both sisters have been separated for most of the first two books and I can't wait to see them (hopefully) working more closely in Finale!

Untitled Empirium #2 by Claire Legrand (2019) This is cheating a little bit because I chose to leave off some other untitled 2019 releases...but Furyborn remains one of my favorite new releases this year, not to mention one of my favorite books period, and I'm simply dying to know what happens next. Words really do fail me in describing just how beautiful, moving, and thought-provoking I found Rielle and Eliana's dovetailing narratives. Expect an abundance of flailing as more news about the sequel starts trickling out.

King of Fools by Amanda Foody (The Shadow Game #2, April 2019) Ace of Shades snuck up on me as I read it, but by the time Amanda introduced the Shadow Game and everything went to hell in a hand basket, I was irrevocably hooked. Enne and Levi have the most delightful chemistry that develops at a perfect pace, and the city of New Reynes has a perfect balance of darkness and light to challenge the former good-girl into adapting. I'm hoping some of my favorite supporting characters get their chance to shine in King of Fools, and that we're treated to even more mafia-esque schemes!

The Queen's Resistance by Rebecca Ross (The Queen's Rising #2, March 2019) Although The Queen's Rising works perfectly well as a stand-alone, I'm so happy that it's getting a sequel! Rebecca wrote a beautiful, classic fantasy novel that proved a story doesn't always have to center on the hero or chosen one to keep you entertained. I can't wait to see what lies in store for Brienna and Cartier (just please, no tragedies!) and follow the oftentimes messy transition that comes from deposing one ruler with another, often skipped over by a generic happy ending. Just another way that Rebecca is upending the genre!

Shadow and Flame by Mindee Arnett (Rime Chronicles #2, Summer 2019) I was fortunate enough to be on the street team, or Relay Riders, for Onyx and Ivory, the first book in this duology. Like The Queen's Rising, it was a well-executed classic fantasy, with a few twists and alterations added in to make it unique. I loved the slithery, snake-like form Mindee gave her dragons, called nightdrakes, and the magic system of Rime. Add to that some Game of Thrones-style political intrigue for a truly outstanding story, whose conclusion I'm anxiously awaiting!

The Winter of the Witch by Katherine Arden (Winternight Trilogy, January 2019) One of the biggest bookish disappointments this year was learning I'd have to wait FIVE more months for the conclusion to the Winternight series. Yes, a winter release fits so much better than a summer one and yes, it's a little selfish considering I binged the first two earlier this year. But still! Katherine is such a talented, lyrical writer who really captures the spirit of fantasy and shapes it into something beautifully unique in her medieval Russian setting. I'll make it to January, somehow, but just know I'll be drumming my fingers all autumn long.

Are you excited for any of these upcoming releases? Did you add any of these to your TBR? What are some other 2019 releases I didn't include that you think I should check out?

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP