tagged: end of the year book tag


I wasn't actually tagged by anyone, but I've seen this particular meme going around as part of the blogmas celebrations! Now I don't know about y'all, but personally I love end-of-year wrap-ups, summaries, stats, and all the other "big picture" goodies that people post in December and January. This tag gives the perfect taste of how 2018 went and how I hope 2019 will go, plus it gets me thinking on my own wrap-up posts that still need to be written!

1. Are there any books you started this year you need to finish?

I hate to admit this, but yes. Way back in the fall I started The Brilliant Death by Amy Rose Capetta, an ARC I received through BookishFirst, before hitting a wall with it around a third of the way through. After so much time I'm probably better off restarting it from the beginning, but no matter what I do, I ought to return to it and get a review back to the publisher before the end of the year if I can.

2. Do you have an autumnal book to transition to the end of the year?

I always re-read at least one Harry Potter book around the holidays, since that was when I first started the series nearly 20 years ago (wow)! This year I'm thinking it will be Goblet of Fire, so I just need to stick on my bedside table and start!

3. Is there a new release you're still waiting for?

Not in 2018, but there are quite a few coming up in the first couple of weeks of 2019 that I'm excited for! The Winter of the Witch, The Gilded Wolves, Slayer, and The Girl King all spring to mind.

4. What are three books you want to read before the end of the year?

Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan
Wednesday Books, 400 pp.

A girl who can speak to gods must save her people without destroying herself.
A prince in danger must decide who to trust.
A boy with a monstrous secret waits in the wings.
Together, they must assassinate the king and stop the war. (Read more on Goodreads)

I've been hyped for this since entering (and not winning) a Goodreads giveaway for an early manuscript over the summer! I just got my hands on an ARC and can't restrain myself any longer!

The Girl King by Mimi Yu
Bloomsbury Children's, 496 pp.

Sisters Lu and Min have always known their places as the princesses of the Empire of the First Flame: the eldest, assertive Lu, will be named her father's heir and become the dynasty's first female ruler, while timid Min will lead a quiet life in Lu's shadow. Then their father names their male cousin Set the heir instead, throwing both girls' lives into chaos. (Read more on Goodreads)

An early January 2019 release that I can't wait to start! I never knew I needed dueling princesses until this book offered them to me.

The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon
Bloomsbury, 848 pp.

A world divided.
A queendom without an heir.
An ancient enemy awakens. (Read more on Goodreads)

Um, about that page count? I don't know that I'll actually be able to finish this behemoth before the end of the year, but the cover is gorgeous, the synopsis is gorgeous, and it keeps drawing my eyes from its (substantial) place on my shelves. I'll definitely start this one in 2018!

5. Is there a book that you think could still shock you and become your favorite?

Although I'm sure my final reads this year will finish out 2018 on a high note, my favorites are already pretty well decided. The Winternight trilogy by Katherine Arden, Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik, Furyborn by Claire Legrand, and Damsel by Elana K. Arnold were all stand-outs for me!

6. Have you already made reading plans for 2019?

I just mapped out my post schedule for January last week, so I think I'm all set for the first part of the year!

And that's my end of the year book tag! If you like those questions feel free to consider yourself tagged, although I'll give a particular nudge to Greg @ Book Haven, Clo @ Book Dragons 24/7, Shruti @ This is Lit, and Sim @ Flipping Thru the Pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP