sunday post #20


The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Caffeinated Reviewer. It's a chance to recap posts from the past week and tease upcoming content, as well as share new books, reading challenge progress, and anything else you've come across in the last seven days.

My big news this week is that I started a #bookstagram! If you have an account, you can follow me @thisdarkmaterial. I'm still discovering new accounts to follow so please don't be shy about sharing your handle :) This was a very nerve-wracking step for me because: 1) it's another social media platform to manage; 2) curating any kind of ~aesthetic doesn't come naturally to me; and 3) I didn't want to start, only to discover that I needed to spend lots of money on props and equipment. Thankfully Evelina included an introduction to Bookstagram in her #NewBloggers101 post series and that, along with some posts from other bloggers, really helped with getting things set up. As for props? My house has gorgeous (and green) yards in the front and the back, so I decided there could be no better (or more free) setting for pictures! I hope I get to see some of you over there as I continue to tweak and grow :)

BOOKS I READ


After an unexpected DNF earlier in the month I had a spot on my review calendar open up. I asked my Twitter followers which backlist book I should read and review in its place; one kind soul broke the tie in favor of The Queen's Rising over Everless! As other reviewers have already noted, TQR is a little unique in that it tells the story of someone proximate to the "chosen one" without actually being her. I thought Rebecca Ross did a good job giving weight and significance to Brienna's story while allowing another, supporting character to technically be the central figure. This was originally written as a standalone, but it was such a well-written fantasy (with one of my favorite romantic tropes to boot!) that I'm happy Ross is now writing a sequel.

I also jumped right ahead to my first 2019 ARC: Enchantée by Gita Trelease! I'm not quite done (although I should be later tonight) but I can already say that this is a beautiful book. It's set in 18th Century France just prior to the revolution, with a magical twist. Camille, the young woman at the center of the story, is a vibrant and realistic protagonist and Trelease has an engaging style that should appeal to readers of Stephanie Garber and Amanda Foody. Next February is far too long to wait for a review, so I think I'll give a little preview of my thoughts later on this summer!

LAST WEEK ON THE BLOG
COMING UP ON THE BLOG

Book Review: The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
What I'm Reading: Summer 2018
State of the ARC #5
Book Review: The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden

BOOK HAULS


A small haul this week (not counting the little used bookstore visit...buying hardcovers of ARCs I already own doesn't count, does it? *wallet screams in pain*)! I was approved on NetGalley for The Similars by Rebecca Hanover, an early 2019 release about clones, a boarding school, and dark secrets. Sourcebooks has been putting out some great reads lately, so I couldn't resist requesting this title when they added it recently.

AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE
Do you have a #bookstagram? What's your favorite social media platform for bookish content? Say hello in the comments and I hope y'all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP