down the tbr hole #18


As my Goodreads to-read shelf creeps closer to 500 books, I've been eyeing it with a growing feeling of apprehension. It would take forever to get through so many...and that's not counting all of the new books I hear about along the way. Thankfully I discovered Lost In A Story's series (by way of Boston Book Reader) at the beginning of the year and it sounds like a great way to trim down my TBR.

The guidelines, per Lost In A Story, are simple:
  • Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf
  • Order on ascending date added
  • Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books
  • Read the synopses of the books
  • Decide: keep it or should it go?
I'll be going through 10 books every week, meaning it should take me almost the whole year to reach the end! If you'd like to do this yourself, be sure to visit Lost In A Story's original post and let her (and me!) know you'll be joining in the fun.

THE BOOKS


The Monolith by Jimmy Palmiottie, Justin Gray, Phil Winslade

I don't know why or how this wound up on my TBR. I don't read very many graphic novels/comics and this one doesn't sound interesting. PASS.



Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky

The tragic history of the author only has me more intrigued, although the opening plot of her incomplete novel is interesting enough on its own. Add to that the fact that I already own a copy and it's included in a reading challenge for this year and it's an easy KEEP.


Nothing Gold Can Stay: Stories by Ron Rash

I'm not much of a short story reader and I also don't know how or why this wound up on my TBR. PASS.


The Grownup by Gillian Flynn

I adore all of Gillian Flynn's novels so I'm willing to suspend my strict thriller rating criteria to keep this one on my list. It's the last thing of hers I need to read...before she publishes a Hogarth Shakespeare book in the next year or two! KEEP.


The Whites by Harry Brandt

Confession: I only added this because Aidan Gillen was snapped carrying a copy from his trailer on the Game of Thrones set. I kind of hate gritty police thrillers, though, so this one needs to be a PASS.


NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

I really liked his first novel, Horns. It was undeniably weird, but in a way that worked for me. Despite the high Goodreads rating I've heard some mixed opinions from friends. I'm going with my gut and KEEPING this on my TBR.

The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood

No way I'm tossing an Atwood title. Add to that the fact that it's a loose re-telling/re-interpretation of a Brothers Grimm tale and this one is an easy KEEP.


In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson

This sounds fascinating, but I won't be fooled. The last Larson book I picked up (Devil in the White City) promised me a true crime look at H.H. Holmes, then droned on endlessly about engineering difficulties for the Chicago World Fair. I'm still peeved. PASS.


Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

Definite KEEP! I already own it and selected it for a reading challenge: all I need to do is read it, finally!


In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware

I always see such mixed reviews for this author. The middling rating has my mediocre-thriller sense tingling, so I'm going to play it safe and PASS.







Another relatively gentle week with 5/10 books surviving the cull. As I get deeper into my TBR I suspect that number will stay high. I'm less likely to cut books I've recently added, either because I've already purchased them or my reasons for adding them to my TBR are still fresh on my mind. I guess we'll see if I'm right as the challenge continues!


What did you think of my choices this week? Are there any authors whose work you want to read in its entirety? Be sure to share your thoughts down below, and let me know if you're inspired to tackle your own TBR list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP