sunday post #19


The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Caffeinated Reviewer. It's a chance to recap posts from the past week and tease upcoming content, as well as share new books, reading challenge progress, and anything else you've come across in the last seven days.

Summer has arrived in Texas, although the low 90's (or the low 30's, for my metrically-inclined followers) are a mere taste of what awaits us later in the season! It was a blessedly empty week...and I mean empty. Neither my phone calendar nor my desk planner had a single note in them which means I got to structure my days however I wanted. I did take my truck in for a little A/C tune-up before the days turn into scorchers; it's a classic that's nearly 30 years old and needs a little extra TLC at times. I even took a book and a beer into the backyard to enjoy some late afternoon reading in the shade! Mosquitoes get to be a problem once summer kicks into high gear and it's nice to enjoy the warm weather without practically spooning a citronella candle (although I'll admit I kinda like the smell!).

READING CHALLENGES


Well, I did it—I hit my Goodreads goal and we're not even halfway through the year yet! The first of two books to get me there was Acceptance, the final novel in the Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer. I'm sad to say it, but this was a slight letdown for me. Part prequel, part sequel, it felt a little disjointed from the start and I never settled in. VanderMeer's writing was still gorgeous, though.

Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand tipped me over to the magic fifty books. I didn't love it quite as much as Furyborn, but that was a very high bar to pass anyway! Her writing is beautiful as always and I really liked each of the three main characters. This is a truly female-centric novel with good rep that I think readers are going respond to very positively. Plus, it's genuinely creepy! I'm also going to re-read it once my Furyborn hype has decreased some because the comparison isn't a very fair one.

I've decided not to edit my Goodreads goal, despite hitting it so early. I'm in the process of making some changes with work and the amount of free time I've had in the first half of the year may not be the same I have at the end. No matter what this will be the most I've read in twelve months; I don't want to set myself up for disappointment, however slight, if my priorities change. So starting next week this will just be a "books read" section without my challenge progress. I'm thinking of doing periodic stats check-ins though, so please let me know if that's something you'd like to see in the future!

LAST WEEK ON THE BLOG
COMING UP ON THE BLOG

Book Review: Authority by Jeff VanderMeer
DIFF 2018 Recap
Book Review: Legendary by Stephanie Garber

BOOK HAULS


An exciting crop of books this week! I must have entered quite a while ago, but the enclosed letter with Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage tells me I won a giveaway, so that's a fun surprise. The synopsis sounds like a new twist on Bad Seed, which I actually performed excerpts from in high school drama class. One of my most highly anticipated fall releases showed up in the mail, too: Melmoth by Sarah Perry! I'm further padding my fall review schedule with Sadie by Courtney Summers and Seafire by Natalie Parker. Lastly (and I'm still squealing over this to be honest) Flatiron Books is generously sending me an early manuscript of Enchantée by Gita Trelease!! Both Melissa Albert and Stephanie Garber have said lovely things about this debut, which won't come out until February 2019. I am. SO. STOKED. to read it!

AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE
How are you doing on your reading goals? Is summer a productive reading season for you? Say hello in the comments and I hope y'all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP