sunday post #6


The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Caffeinated Reviewer. It's a chance to recap posts from the past week and tease upcoming content, as well as share new books, reading challenge progress, and anything else you've come across in the last seven days.

There's very little to report this week outside of bookish news! The opera last weekend was quite fun. I'm most excited for the next one, which premieres exactly a month after the last: it uses video projection and 3D glasses, with a libretto by the author of Cloud Atlas. Modern operas aren't always a hit with me, but I always love finding out if the next one will be.

After a spate of hit-or-miss indie films, I'm getting to review Red Sparrow this week. I'll go see anything with Jeremy Irons in the cast, even a minor role, but the ensemble is filled with actors I usually like. I haven't read the book its based on, and won't have time before the screening, so I'm going into it blind. If anyone has read the book by Jason Matthews, though, I'd love to hear your (non-spoilery) thoughts!

READING CHALLENGES


I continue to stay on track with my goal of reading ~20 pages a day in Seven Pillars! Now that I'm past the halfway mark my thoughts are already turning towards writing a review, which I'll admit I dread a little. Lawrence's recollections encompass so many topics—religion, culture, military history, geology, biography—that it will be difficult to do them all justice in only a few hundred words.

My Goodreads progress this week comes courtesy of three ARCs. I received CIRCE over a month ago and made myself wait to read it. Giving in to temptation never felt so good! My review won't go live until early April but let me just say now: it was amazing. If you're excited, or even just on the fence, I seriously encourage you to pre-order it!

I also got some surprise book mail from Simon & Schuster in the form of a Wicked Deep ARC! This is one of my most anticipated spring releases, so naturally I: 1) totally freaked out and, 2) devoured it in less than two days. It took a little thought before I could settle on a rating, but I already want to read it again now that I know all the twists, so overall I quite enjoyed it.

Lastly I read New Boy by Tracy Chevalier, which I received via Blogging for Books. A reimagining of Shakespeare's Othello, I also finished this very quickly. Although I was a little disappointed in how Chevalier handled the character of Iago, I still think she did a great job adapting my favorite Shakespearean play!

LAST WEEK ON THE BLOG


COMING UP ON THE BLOG

Tagged: Mystery Blogger Award
Down the TBR Hole #8
Book Review: Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer
Movie Review: Oh, Lucy!

BOOK HAULS


I told myself I would be good after last week's bigger than expected haul, I really did! But then Barnes & Noble had a massive 3 for $30 sale on YA fiction...so really, y'all should be proud I only have three books in my haul this week. After my impulse purchase I turned asked my Twitter followers which I should start first and...it tied! 😂 Everless by Sara Holland and The Cruel Prince by Holly Black took the majority of votes, so I'm going to go with my (very slight) preference and start with Everless! I was surprised so few voted for Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson; it sounds deliciously dark (which just so happens to be how I like my chocolate and tea too!).

Two new ARCs joined the pile as well: I requested The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton on NetGalley last year and only just got approved, and did a swap for To Kill A Kingdom by Alexandra Christo. I've been itching to read both of them so I can't help but be happy at this week's haul (even though I'd kind of hoped I could keep it at zero...)!

#NEWBLOGGERS101

I want to extend a big thank you to Evelina at AvalinahsBooks for starting up an advice and networking group for new book bloggers! (For more info, see this tweet.) She and the other mods have put a lot of time, thought, and effort into a project meant to help others, which I'd like to help pay forward in my own small way. Right here each week I'll feature posts by members of the #NewBloggers101 group*, so be sure to click through and discover some new, amazing bloggers!

What Tools Can Help Me Be An Organized Blogger? Social Media and Networking @ AvalinahsBooks
Book Review: Chromosomes by Ashleigh Reynolds @ EricaRobynReads
Discussion: ‘Love, Simon’ and Queer Inclusion @ PrestonLikesToRead
Book Review: Loving Ordinary Life by Anastasia Petrenko @ ChocolatePages

*If you're a member of the #NewBloggers101 group and would like to see your post featured here, I put out a call every Saturday afternoon on Twitter and share the tweet to the Discord chat!

Can you resist the power of a good book sale? Anything you're excited about in the upcoming week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP