sunday post #7


The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Caffeinated Reviewer. It's a chance to recap posts from the past week and tease upcoming content, as well as share new books, reading challenge progress, and anything else you've come across in the last seven days.

Only a slightly eventful week this time around, and scheduling this post ahead of time means I can't even give details on the most exciting part! Saturday evening is a black-tie gala and silent auction for one of the young professional women's groups I belong to, and it's an event I look forward to every year. There's drinks and dancing, but most important is the fundraising for a local charity: this year the club selected a women's shelter, and members have spent the last several months volunteering, as well as raising money and supplies for residents. This will be the culmination of everyone's hard work and I'm delighted to see it benefit such a worthy cause.

On a much more frivolous note, I screened Red Sparrow earlier this week and overall I quite enjoyed it. It was a harder R-rating than I had expected, so those with queasy inclinations may want to sit this spy thriller out. The review embargo has already been lifted, but my full thoughts will go up on Friday morning!

READING CHALLENGES


The end is in sight for Seven Pillars! I'm still on track to finish on the last day of the month and I have mixed feelings about it, to be honest. Lawrence is an absolutely fascinating, and flawed, individual who lived during an extraordinary period of history. But his writing can drag depending on the topic and I wrestled with his ego in places. What I want now is to read a biography of him to gain an outside, objective view of his life. I doubt I'll get to it anytime soon, but I think it would give a lot of added value to his personal writing.

I finished two ARCs this week: The Strange Bird by Jeff VanderMeer and My Dear Hamilton by Stephanie Dray and Lauren Kamoie. The Strange Bird is a companion novella to Borne and I will say this unequivocally: if you enjoyed even a single aspect of the parent novel, rush to get a copy of The Strange Bird. It's hauntingly beautiful and packs an emotional wallop in barely over 100 pages. My Dear Hamilton seeks to fill the void left behind by the absence of Eliza Schuyler Hamilton's papers and does so quite admirably. It takes only a few liberties with known history and I'd recommend it to any fan of Lin-Manuel Miranda's musical (myself included!). Both reviews will post later this month.

LAST WEEK ON THE BLOG


COMING UP ON THE BLOG

State of the ARC #2
Book Review: The Bad Daughter by Joy Fielding
Down the TBR Hole #9
Book Review: New Boy by Tracy Chevalier
Film Review: Red Sparrow

BOOK HAULS


Okay, I know I wanted this week's haul to be zero. BUT. Technically Warcross by Marie Lu and Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi are book swaps, so that's a net zero gain. And I requested Ace of Shades by Amanda Foody and Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young a couple months ago, so those are the fault of past-me. Right? The only one that's really my fault is Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. When I submitted my review of New Boy to Blogging for Books (it posts here on Thursday!) I saw that they had the movie tie-in edition available for request. I knew I wanted to read it before the movie comes out next month, so it would have been silly not to take a free copy. Right??

#NEWBLOGGERS101

I want to extend a big thank you to Evelina at AvalinahsBooks for starting up an advice and networking group for new book bloggers! (For more info, see this tweet.) She and the other mods have put a lot of time, thought, and effort into a project meant to help others, which I'd like to help pay forward in my own small way. Right here each week I'll feature posts by members of the #NewBloggers101 group*, so be sure to click through and discover some new, amazing bloggers!

So You Want to Move from Blogger to (Free) Wordpress? Guest Post by NorthernPlunder @ AvalinahsBooks
Bookworms Explained 6.2: Our Body Language Decoded @ BookDragons247
Etiquette Guide to the Online Book Community (Part 1) @ UnputdownableBooks
Welcome to a Shiny New Bookwyrming Thoughts @ BookwyrmingThoughts

*If you're a member of the #NewBloggers101 group and would like to see your post featured here, I put out a call every Friday afternoon on Twitter and share the tweet to the Discord chat!

Did you do anything fun this weekend? Any new books you're excited to start this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP