down the tbr hole #7


As my Goodreads to-read shelf creeps closer to 500 books, I've been eyeing it with a growing feeling of apprehension. It would take forever to get through so many...and that's not counting all of the new books I hear about along the way. Thankfully I discovered Lost In A Story's series (by way of Boston Book Reader) at the beginning of the year and it sounds like a great way to trim down my TBR.

The guidelines, per Lost In A Story, are simple:
  • Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf
  • Order on ascending date added
  • Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books
  • Read the synopses of the books
  • Decide: keep it or should it go?
I'll be going through 10 books every week, meaning it should take me almost the whole year to reach the end! If you'd like to do this yourself, be sure to visit Lost In A Story's original post and let her (and me!) know you'll be joining in the fun.

THE BOOKS


Harry Potter: Film Wizardry by Brian Sibley

I may not feel the same loyalty to JKR that I did a few years ago (more on that below!), but I'll always love Harry Potter! KEEP.



The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

Earlier in this series I said I was willing to read Holmes stories written by someone other than Sir ACD. The synopsis for this particular title sounds so contrived, though. I'm all for increased representation in the stories we tell, but sometimes shoehorning it into classics doesn't work well. I'm going to PASS.


The Glimmer Palace by Beatrice Colin

Reading the synopsis, this could be a novel I love. Or not. The buzz suggests that fans of Sarah Waters will be pleased with this novel as well, yet my only experience with her work (The Fingersmith) was generally ambivalent. I want to look at my TBR and feel excited, not yawn, so I'll mark this title as a PASS.


A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.

This has all the makings of a great-for-me novel. Post-apocalyptic setting? Check. The fledgling regrowth of science and culture? Check. A "sharp and satirical" tone? Check. I'll be happy to KEEP this one.


Ape and Essence by Aldous Huxley

This last year I re-evaluated my opinion of Huxley. Considering my love of Brave New World I assumed I would enjoy additional books of his. After a couple of resounding duds, however, I may have been a little too confident. Those experiences left me skittish so I need to PASS on this title for now.


Invitation to a Beheading by Vladimir Nabokov

I adore Nabokov and included this title (which I've owned for several years now) on my TBR Pile Challenge list. That makes this particular choice an easy one to KEEP.

Caligula by Albert Camus

Camus was a rare author who survived being assigned reading in high school. Throughout college I read more out of his repertoire than The Stranger and fell in love with how he uses language, as well as the allegorical approach he takes to storytelling. Despite the lack of an English summary on GR, however, I seem to gather that this is a play. That makes it an automatic PASS since I'm trying to clear out curiosities I don't have much intention of picking up.


The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

Judging a book by its adaptation isn't the best course, but...I felt pretty bored through most of HBO's mini-series. Considering that some recent events (that atrocity otherwise known as The Cursed Child, the mediocrity of Fantastic Beasts, and the disappointing response to fans' concerns over casting in its sequel) I don't feel the blind loyalty to JKR that I did through my teens. Sorry Jo, but I'm going to PASS.


The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory

In college I went through an extended period of reading any historical fiction by Philippa Gregory I could find. I think it stemmed from a re-watch of The Other Boleyn Girl, which made up in aesthetic what it lost in historical accuracy. However, I ran into the problem that so many of her stories started to bleed together into one indistinct book. That phase has ended for me, so any lingering books on my TBR are a PASS.


The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory

Just like the title above, I'm not all that interested in reading more of Philippa Gregory's novels. It's another PASS although I'll admit this is one of the more beautiful covers I've seen on her books.








After a pretty generous week last time, the survivors are an elite bunch this go-around: only 3/10 left standing. I feel like I've discovered A Canticle for Leibowitz for the first time after adding it to my TBR so long ago; not only that, but I'm excited to read it someday! That's how I want my to-read list to make me feel, rather than being some onerous mountain to climb, and now it's finally shaping up that way!

What did you think of my choices this week? Are you a fan of Philippa Gregory? Be sure to share your thoughts down below, and let me know if you're inspired to tackle your own TBR list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP