sunday post #8


The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Caffeinated Reviewer. It's a chance to recap posts from the past week and tease upcoming content, as well as share new books, reading challenge progress, and anything else you've come across in the last seven days.

Another quiet week, which I appreciated after a busy weekend! I also have very little scheduled for this week, although I was assigned to review Love, Simon and that screening is on Tuesday. I've only recently heard about the movie and the book it's based on, so I'm going in with practically no expectations or prior knowledge, except that there are high hopes it will get the representation of the original novel right. I don't know if that will help or hurt my ability to write a good review, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing a movie that's generated so much buzz.

This week I have a whopping three book reviews scheduled, with a total of nine spread throughout the rest of the month. Being relatively new to the book blogging community, I'm still discovering what kind of content I want to produce and how often I want to post it. So I'm curious: do you like when bloggers post book reviews more frequently? My goal at the end of last year was to write a review for every book I read in 2018, which means I'll have at least one per week; I've also seen discussions in the community about how reviews seem to be the least popular kind of post! I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on writing and posting reviews down in the comments :)

READING CHALLENGES


I did it! I finished Seven Pillars of Wisdom!! It will take me a few days to gather my thoughts enough to write a review, although I will say that history buffs and those interested in military history will find much to love in Lawrence's memoir. It covers a little bit of everything along the way, which means that some chapters engross while others...well, not so much. I'm delighted to have finished it, though, after letting it sit on my shelf for two years.

This week I also blazed through Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. It is everything the hype promises and more. Given how advance publicity can make me wary of new releases—they are trying to sell books, after all—I'm genuinely and pleasantly surprised at how much I loved it from start to finish. My review won't post until after its release date on Tuesday, so I'll take this opportunity to emphasize how much to need this title on your shelf!

Less exciting was my NetGalley ARC of The Beloveds by Maureen Lindley. I liked her choice of an unreliable sociopath as a first-person narrator, but the perspective wore thin during the middle portion of the book when very little happens. Readers who require a likable protagonist to get through a book should stay far, far away.

LAST WEEK ON THE BLOG


COMING UP ON THE BLOG

Book Review: The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw
Down the TBR Hole #10
Dust Motes: February 2018
Book Review: The Strange Bird by Jeff VanderMeer
Book Review: To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo

BOOK HAULS


I'm so excited—NetGalley approved me for an ARC of Legendary by Stephanie Garber! I requested a physical ARC from the publisher, but given the level of anticipation around her new novel I didn't have particularly strong expectations about seeing it granted. (But if you're reading this Flatiron: I'll keel over with joy if one shows up on my doorstep!) Regardless of the format, I'm absolutely delighted to have an advance copy.

I also purchased a mere two books (really, this is practically the height of restraint for me): a signed hardcover of Sunburn by Laura Lippman and Authority, the second Southern Reach novel by Jeff VanderMeer. Barnes & Noble was selling signed editions for the same price as a regular hardback, so I got a little overzealous in my fear that they'd disappear soon. And I'm rather impatient to continue the Southern Reach trilogy, but as a compromise to my heavy review load this month I only bought the next book in the series.

AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

How frequently do you post book reviews? Do you like reading them when others post them? Is there such a thing as too many reviews on a book blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP