down the tbr hole #10


As my Goodreads to-read shelf creeps closer to 500 books, I've been eyeing it with a growing feeling of apprehension. It would take forever to get through so many...and that's not counting all of the new books I hear about along the way. Thankfully I discovered Lost In A Story's series (by way of Boston Book Reader) at the beginning of the year and it sounds like a great way to trim down my TBR.

The guidelines, per Lost In A Story, are simple:
  • Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf
  • Order on ascending date added
  • Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books
  • Read the synopses of the books
  • Decide: keep it or should it go?
I'll be going through 10 books every week, meaning it should take me almost the whole year to reach the end! If you'd like to do this yourself, be sure to visit Lost In A Story's original post and let her (and me!) know you'll be joining in the fun.

THE BOOKS


Eaten by a Giant Clam: Great Adventures in Natural Science by Joseph Cummins

Popular science is my jam! I especially love when careers or events can be summed up into a single chapter, so that I get a taste of the broader picture before deciding whether I want to learn about it more in depth. Plus the title is just so darn catchy! KEEP.



Crush by Richard Silken

I'm not much of a poetry aficionado and I can't remember who recommended this particular collection to me, or when. It may make me uncultured, but PASS.


The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

As much as I love science fiction and dystopian fiction, I have never read a PKD novel. The premise is super intriguing and I don't even mind if it's similar to the Amazon series or not: I want to read this, and soon, so it's a KEEP.


The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene

I haven't had one of these in a while: another title I don't remember hearing about or adding to my TBR! It sounds like a compilation of related philosophies, which I would prefer to just seek out individually if the mood ever strikes. PASS.


Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

I need to be choosy with the Gaiman titles I keep on my TBR. Some of his books are favorites of mine (Ocean at the End of the Lane, American Gods), while others were duds (Stardust). I think the problem is adding them all thanks to his reputation rather than an interest in the summary itself. Anansi Boys doesn't sound that interesting, despite the tie-in to American Gods, so I'll PASS.


Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

Continuing with the restraint mentioned above, I'm turning a more critical eye on Gaiman's titles. Re-reading the plot of Good Omens, I definitely want to know how the story turns out, so it's a KEEP.

The Vampire: A Casebook by Alan Dundes

Out of all the ghosts and ghouls, vampires are my favorite supernatural creature. Every monster targets a dark part of ourselves and the questions of love, sexuality, and freedom that the vampire myth tackles are ones I adore in literature. Dundes' collection of essays tracing the history of the myth and its telling should only deepen my appreciation. I actually already own a copy that was given as a gift several years ago, but even without it, this would be an easy KEEP. (Also—Dundes has other books on different topics, if the fantasy nerd in you wants to seek them out!)


The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman

Anything by Philip Pullman is an automatic KEEP for me. That he revisits the religious undertones of His Dark Materials in an even more explicit manner is just a bonus. And also, that cover?! I love an artistic design as much as the next bookworm, but this one is striking in its simplicity.


Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

No doubt this cropped up after I watched the excellent film adaptation starring Reese Witherspoon. While Cheryl's story is unquestionably inspiring, I don't often gravitate towards this sort of memoir. I feel a little bad giving this book a PASS since it's her own words, rather than a Hollywood summary, but I'm just not moved enough to revisit her hike in greater detail.


A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab

I've wanted to read this series for quite some time, but somehow haven't gotten around to it yet. The fairly pervasive love for Shades of Magic in the blogosphere has me more tempted than ever. I think this might finally be the year I give Schwab's writing a try, so this is a definite KEEP.







This week I've kept 6/10 books on my to-read list. This was a bit of a "clearing out the cobwebs" week rather than a full-scale extermination. I might read some of the PASS titles later, if by some miracle I ever cleared my to-read pile, but I'm not too excited by the idea either. I'm also happy with the mix of genres on my TBR both before and after making cuts. While some readers find joy by staying loyal to one or two genres, variety is part of what makes reading so fun for me.

What did you think of my choices this week? Are you a fan of V.E. Schwab? Be sure to share your thoughts down below, and let me know if you're inspired to tackle your own TBR list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP