tagged: book blogger test


I was tagged (ages ago) by Greg at Greg's Book Haven. He always includes me in the coolest memes and has a fantastic blog to boot, so go give him a visit!

The Rules:

Thank the person who nominated you and link to their blog.
Answer the questions asked on this post- don't stress it's quick.
Nominate and notify some peeps. 5 preferred.

1) What are your top three bookish peeves? 

Insta-love, although I think that annoys most prolific readers? It just goes completely against the slow-burn, agonizing, will-they-or-won't-they tension I love most in plots that include a romance.

Next would be using deus ex machina devices too often in a story, particularly those meant to unfold in our reality or something similar. I give fantasy settings a little more leeway, but even then, if the heroes are constantly in impossible situations and then saved by extraordinary circumstances, I quit caring about their fate. At least GRRM has the decency to kill his characters off and make his readers deal with the consequences.

When fantasy novels don't include a map. It doesn't need to be extraordinarily detailed, but if you've built an entirely new world for your characters, I want to know where I am!

2) Name a perfect reading spot.

One that's available to me? Sitting propped up against pillows in bed, with the shutters cracked just enough to let some natural light and a view of the yard on a rainy day into view. A mug of hot tea on the nightstand and a fan oscillating on the lowest setting on the far side of the room.

The dream? A chaise lounge in front of a cozy fire in a cottage in rural Scotland. It's still raining and I still have a mug of tea handy, but the landscape is extra dreary and there's no one within five miles to pester me.

3) Give 3 reading confessions.

I loathe romance novels.

In contrast, what others might find offensive or overly dark I'm more likely to enjoy. When you read dozens of titles each year, encountering an author willing to tell a story differently than the crowd is always exciting, regardless of the subject (usually).

I don't like reading on planes. It feels like the information "sticks" less than it does when I'm reading at home.

4) When was the last time you cried during a book?

The Winter of the Witch by Katherine Arden. Several times. But I shan't say why or when because...spoilers!

5) Number of books on your bedside table? 

Two! A Brilliant Death by Amy Rose Capetta, an ARC I've struggled to finish...for two months now. And Vengeful by V.E. Schwab, which I'm currently reading.

6) Favorite reading snack.

None, since I don't usually snack while I read.

7) What are 3 books you'd recommend to anyone? 

The Golden Compass, Killers of the Flower Moon, and Fahrenheit 451.

8) Provide a picture of your bookshelf.


9) How much do books mean to you in three words? 

Most blissful escape.

10) Biggest reading secret?

I used to try much harder to keep up with adult literary fiction. I kind of wish I could get myself back into it, but it's difficult when I don't know many others who gravitate towards those titles. (And I do love all of the great fantasy and science fiction that's been coming out recently.)

I tag:


No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP