down the tbr hole #17


As my Goodreads to-read shelf creeps closer to 500 books, I've been eyeing it with a growing feeling of apprehension. It would take forever to get through so many...and that's not counting all of the new books I hear about along the way. Thankfully I discovered Lost In A Story's series (by way of Boston Book Reader) at the beginning of the year and it sounds like a great way to trim down my TBR.

The guidelines, per Lost In A Story, are simple:
  • Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf
  • Order on ascending date added
  • Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books
  • Read the synopses of the books
  • Decide: keep it or should it go?
I'll be going through 10 books every week, meaning it should take me almost the whole year to reach the end! If you'd like to do this yourself, be sure to visit Lost In A Story's original post and let her (and me!) know you'll be joining in the fun.

THE BOOKS


Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

Magical realism is such a hit-or-miss genre for me. I also know I added this primarily because of the author's reputation, rather than being drawn in to the plot, so I'm going to PASS for now.



A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas

I adore a good retelling, and Aurora remains my favorite Disney princess! Those are...a lot of negative reviews from my blogging friends though. I've gotten recommendations for a couple of other Sleeping Beauty retellings, so I think I'm going to PASS on this one in favor of some more recent TBR additions.


We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

Here it is! This was a book I looked for on my last trip to the used bookstore, so I'm definitely still interested in checking out this spooky tale!  KEEP.


The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

The first book in this trilogy, The Shadow of the Wind, was wonderful. It's sequel is also on my TBR Pile Challenge list and I already have a copy on my shelf just waiting to be read. Easy KEEP!


The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Same logic as before! I want to read the rest of this trilogy this year, so the third book is a definite KEEP.


The Rose of Fire by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Technically a prequel and not part of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books trilogy, but a must-read nonetheless! KEEP.

Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

A YA novel by the same author as the Cemetery of Forgotten Books trilogy, this sounds perfectly spooky! I love Zafon's prose, so I'm willing to take a chance on it translating well to a younger audience and KEEP this one as well.


The Fever by Megan Abbott

Another thriller with a mediocre rating. I'm sticking to my guns for another week. PASS.


The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

I was wavering on this one...then I saw a very positive review by Evelina of AvalinahsBooks. KEEP!


The Phenomenon of Life: Toward a Philosophical Biology by Hans Jonas

I won't be reading this cover to cover for pleasure anytime soon, but I would like to add it to my collection of reference books if I ever come across it. I'll KEEP it on my TBR, if only so that it stays on my bookstore shopping list!







I kept a whopping 7/10 books this week, mostly thanks to the appearance of unread entries in a series I'd like to finish soon. I'm particularly looking forward to The Angel's Game, which I know I can pick up soon as part of the TBR Pile Challenge. It's always nice to see books I already own on this list!


What did you think of my choices this week? Do you have a lot of unfinished series on your TBR? Be sure to share your thoughts down below, and let me know if you're inspired to tackle your own TBR list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP