down the tbr hole #4


As my Goodreads to-read shelf creeps closer to 500 books, I've been eyeing it with a growing feeling of apprehension. It would take forever to get through so many...and that's not counting all of the new books I hear about along the way. Thankfully I discovered Lost In A Story's series (by way of Boston Book Reader) at the end of last month and it sounds like a great way to trim down my TBR.

The guidelines, per Lost In A Story, are simple:
  • Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf
  • Order on ascending date added
  • Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books
  • Read the synopses of the books
  • Decide: keep it or should it go?
I'll be going through 10 books every week, meaning it should take me almost the whole year to reach the end! If you'd like to do this yourself, be sure to visit Lost In A Story's original post and let her (and me!) know you'll be joining in the fun.

THE BOOKS

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

I have no idea how I ever heard of this novel, but the synopsis sounds like the kind of book I would write for myself!

KEEP

The Shining by Stephen King

Even though I really admire King, he's so prolific that I can hardly keep up with his classics, much less his new releases. Just because I'm slow doesn't mean I'm going to give up, though.

KEEP








The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice

In middle school I adored Anne Rice and the Vampire Chronicles. That was a long time ago, and my tastes have changed.

PASS







Let the Right One In 
by John Ajvide Lindqvist

This one has me torn. I loved the Swedish film. I really liked the American re-make. The book has a high rating on Goodreads. But...I just don't feel an urgent need to read it. I'm going to toss it, with the sense that I may add it back at a later date.

PASS





The Vampire Lestat: A Graphic Novel by Faye Perozich

Again, this reflects tastes that have long since changed. I will admit that the cover art looks like the perfect fit for the story though!

PASS






The Dead Zone by Stephen King

Another one I'll get to eventually, Mr. King!

KEEP





Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

How did I hear about this one? No idea. Why did I add something that sounds so terribly corny five years later? Also no idea.

PASS







The Revolution by Ron Paul

I've gotten to hear the Congressman speak a couple of times, and while I don't agree with all of his policies, I still enjoy hearing someone detail and defend a (non-hateful) point of view they've spent a lifetime developing. I'm in no rush, but I'd like to return to it someday.

KEEP






Free Will by Sam Harris

I must have been feeling pretty down when I added this, if the summary is anything to go by. Hard no.

PASS






The Art of War by Sun Tzu

I've already read and enjoyed the similar, but shorter, Book of Five Rings. Plus I have an audiobook of Aidan Gillen reading this, so...

KEEP







I was feeling generous this week, with 5/10 books surviving. None of them are at the top of my to-read pile, but they seem like good titles to get to when I'm in a new/recent release lull.

What did you think of my choices this week? Be sure to share your thoughts down below, and let me know if you're inspired to tackle your own TBR list!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a fantastic idea! I’m going to have to do this for sure! I know that my goodreads TBR does get out of control so this is such a good way to do it! Great post! Can’t wait to read more from you ��

    ReplyDelete

BACK TO TOP